Saturday, October 6, 2012

Choose Your Own Adventure



I’ve watched this TED talk numerous times and can’t help but share it. Dan Barber travels to Spain and discovers a fish that tastes so delicious, and the farm that leaves positive effects on the environment. His talk centers on an idea so simplistic, yet almost forgotten in these times of processed nutrients and calories. Barber questions the run-around of many fish suppliers and challenges these big companies. As consumers, I think it is important to consider our intake of food, where it comes from, and how it affects the surrounding environment. Also, with “social justice” being advertised throughout campus, I believe this conversation to be especially relevant. Eating fresh, sustainable food might not seem realistic to many, but I think Barber presents a valid argument as to why these practices are so imperative. After viewing this clip, I began to compare and contrast the benefits tasty, healthy, and environmentally conscious food to the access of less expensive, but perhaps more damaging to the body and surroundings.

Dan Barber kept me truly engaged throughout the whole talk with his great wit and knowledge. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did, and I look forward to discussing it on Tuesday!


1 comment:

  1. Katherine,
    This talk was really interesting to listen to! Barber approaches food security from an interesting angle and I think he makes a lot of sense! I found the discussion of Miguel and the fish farm so fascinating and inspiring. I want to eat some of that fish and help make fish farms in the United States look more like that one! Thanks for sharing this cool story. Can't wait to discuss it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete